Baby

5 Birth Labor and Delivery Myths Debunked

Sharing is caring!

1.Once your baby is in your arms, the delivery is over.

Are you excited to use those baby bibs you bought in Malaysia at home? Well, you need to wait a bit longer. The delivery is not over unless the placenta passes. This can happen in an average of 30 minutes. Also, you don’t need to worry about any pain. Delivering the placenta is typically less painful. You just need to push a bit to get it all out.

2.Your water will break before labor begins.

It’s more common to begin labor through contractions, and the water may not really break until before birth. Also, even if your water breaks first, labor may not begin immediately. Keep in mind that 85% of pregnant women go into labor 24 hours after they break their water. Then, the remaining 15% can take as long as 4 to 5 days.

3.Once the cervix is dilated, it’s already time.

Your cervix may begin to efface and dilate many weeks before labor really begins. In fact, many women actually go into labor before they start to dilate. Thus, never assume that you are still far from delivery if even if you are not dilated. While your ob-gyn would check the cervix each week towards the pregnancy’s end, this is not really necessary. This is an indicator of how soon your baby would arrive.

4.If you are induced, expect yourself to into labor immediately.

Pregnant women who have already displayed cervical changes, like thinning and dilation of the cervix, usually respond a lot faster to induction. Once you go into labor through induction, it can be a more painful, and much longer labor. The reason is that your body may not be entirely prepared.

5.Your doctor will be present throughout your labor.

Consider your physician’s presence as a check in. It’s possible for her not to arrive until you are close to entirely dilated. Of course, she may have other patients who are in labor. Make sure to discuss with her the details ahead of time. No matter what happens, you will always be with great support.